Thursday, June 21, 2012

Fast NBI clearance processing at Robinson's Otis

I was searching through the web on where was the best place in the metro to process NBI clearance. I live in Marikina and Robinsons Metro East seemed like the logical place for me to do so. But, upon searching, a certain horror story regarding processing it there greeted me. Of course, I did not want to line up 3 am in the morning.

Further searching through the blog sphere directed me to processing the clearance at Robinsons Otis, which was located in Pandacan, Manila. I live in the eastern side of the Metro, and Robinsons Otis was in the heart of the west. Despite the far distance, I trusted the blog posts and also trusted on our mass transit system. It's a good thing that there is the LRT line 2 already, and that the LRT lines 1 and 2, and MRT 3 has some sort of connectivity now.

Here's a timeline of my "adventure":

5:45 Left Marikina

6:15 LRT2 Katipunan Station

6:50 LRT1 Doroteo Jose Station

7:10 LRT1 Dorote Jose Station, was able to finally board on the 4th train

7:30 Finally at Robinson's Otis, followed the directions in the blog posts. Red tricycles, upon crossing Taft Ave - UN Ave intersection. Took the tricycles, not the pedicabs. I was the 31st in line.


10:00 Mall opened. Ushered in to the Robinsons Lingkod Pinoy holding area. Good thing I was one of the early birds because I got to be seated, unlike those who were "late" that had to stand up even in the holding area. By this time, I estimated the number of those who will process their clearances to 150-200.

11:00 Finally started processing.

11:50 Got my NBI clearances (for local employment, and for travel abroad)

1:30 Back home, after having lunch and almost taking the same way back. LRT1 - LRT2 to Araneta Center Cubao - FX ride to Marikina.



Observations:

Why is processing in Robinsons Otis faster?
Well, it is almost unknown to many people. It really is just a small mall, and since there are less people trying to process their clearance there, it really would be faster. It also helps that it is "near" the main NBI office. People have the mentality that it is always better to have transactions at the main office. I'm not saying that it's not true for some government offices, but having an unknown processing center near the main office has its perks.



Kudos to Robinsons for their Lingkod Pinoy centers

Of course, there's the business side to it, but it's a win-win-win situation for Robinsons, for the government, and the general public. It is not a question that SM malls are more flocked than Robinsons Malls. Putting up the Lingkod Pinoy centers really help increase the number of people that go to Robinsons malls and help increase their revenues, even in the smallest ways. I mean, of course people will buy food/drinks in the vicinity.
It is also an advantage to the government since they no longer need to construct satellite offices. And what better place to put such offices? With the mall mentality that Filipinos have (yes, I've got issues with the "mall mentality", which is why I have many outdoor weekend events), the mall is the perfect place to set up these offices.

Finally, it is good for the general public. Despite my issues with the Filipino mall mentality, there really is an upside to it. Malls are properly ventilated, have stores that sell food and drinks, and have proper toilets too. And since there are many centers around the metro, the general public has the "power" to choose where they want to have such transactions. By the way, in the Lingkod Pinoy centers, it is not only the NBI which has a  satellite office, but Philhealth, SSS, and (for some malls,) DFA as well.






Tips:
Bring a book, hand-held devices, or music players. They will help you pass the time while in line when the mall is not open yet. I think I covered 40 pages of a book while waiting in line for 2 1/2 hours.

Bring water or bottled drinks. If you're going to process at Otis, Starbucks in the mall would be very tempting while waiting.
Prepare the necessary IDs. Of course, this is for faster processing.


2 comments:

J.AzrielKIM said...

Hi there!!! Just sharing...I went there at 630am. I was 5th if line. We were also asked to come inside at 10am. The guardswere helpful and I appreciate that they sure did mot allow the otjers who pretended to be mall customers and tried to squeeze in front of us in line. They were asked to fall im line at the back..  probably around 150 already at 10am. 1015 we were asled to pay already. I finished at 1130am. Encoding did not start until 1046am. I did not commute as I am from qc area. Taxi from q. Ave to otis is 150 pesos. Hehe by the way they have a huge hokding area already. I tried counting... probably about 250 people can fit in there.

J.AzrielKIM said...

Hi there!!! Just sharing...I went there at 630am. I was 5th if line. We were also asked to come inside at 10am. The guardswere helpful and I appreciate that they sure did mot allow the otjers who pretended to be mall customers and tried to squeeze in front of us in line. They were asked to fall im line at the back..  probably around 150 already at 10am. 1015 we were asled to pay already. I finished at 1130am. Encoding did not start until 1046am. I did not commute as I am from qc area. Taxi from q. Ave to otis is 150 pesos. Hehe by the way they have a huge hokding area already. I tried counting... probably about 250 people can fit in there.